Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Old Fashioned Rice Pudding

[4 SP per serving] Right off, I'd like to be perfectly clear, this is not as good as my mother's recipe, but that would be a far cry from something that is healthy. This is a take on my mother's recipe that has been tweaked to be much healthier. I grew up eating this stuff, and I have to say that it is delicious but fattening. So in this recipe, I replaced the sugar with Truvia and the butter with no-fat margarine. The taste is affected a little, but only a little, and it drops from 7 SP to 4. This is healthy enough to eat for breakfast, which I highly recommend.

Information

  • Makes: 7 servings
  • Source: Fran Krawchuk (tweaked by Ryan)
  • Prep: 15 min     Cook: 1 hr 15 min

Ingredients

⅔ cup Minute Rice Oriental Style Rice 4 SP
2⅔ cup 1% milk 11 SP
⅓ cup Truvia Calorie-Free Sweetener from the Stevia Leaf 0 SP
1 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine 3 SP
½ tsp table salt 0 SP
½ tsp vanilla extract 0 SP
¼ tsp ground nutmeg 0 SP
1 tsp ground cinnamon 0 SP
½ cup raisins 12 SP

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Combine Minute Rice, milk & raisins, Truvia, butter, salt, vanilla & nutmeg in a buttered 1-quart baking dish.
  3. Bake for 1 hour, stirring after 15 mins & again when the pudding is done.
  4. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
  5. Serve warm or chilled. The pudding thickens as it stands.

Notes

This dish reminds me of my mother as she made it for us two only; no one else in the house liked it (they're crazy). Like I stated previously, her recipe was not healthy. This take is much healthier, and still gives me the reminders of my mother. Happy eating!


EmoticonEmoticon